Friday, August 22, 2008

Following God in the throes of leadership by Margaret Feinberg

I love Margaret Feinberg's words here about the Sacred Echo of God's voice...I have often heard that echo and been stopped dead in my tracks as I realized God was getting after me about one thing in a major way...

As a leader, more and more, I’m finding that I need the sacred echo – the persistent voice of God – almost as if my life depended on it.


As leaders, we desperately need to be able to recognize God’s voice and leading not only in our daily lives, but as we serve in our churches and community. Though God’s Word is our only source of indisputable truth, many passages of the Bible illustrate the colorful ways God speaks to his people. In the Bible God speaks through kings and queens, princes and prophets, poets and pilgrims. He speaks through weather patterns, barnyard animals, and even the stars in the sky. God is not only creative, but he is persistent in getting our attention and communicating with us. That’s encouraging news for us as leaders!

So how do you know if God might be leading you in a new direction or a fresh initiative? Listen for what I call the “sacred echo.” What is a sacred echo? It’s the persistent voice of God in our lives.

You may find a particular passage on caring for the poor, the widows, the children, or the elderly following you throughout daily life. Several members of your congregation may keep raising this particular need to your attention. Then, during a chance luncheon the topic comes up again. Just maybe God is trying to get your attention! When this happens, take time to prayerfully consider this leading. Ask God to give you discernment if it truly is him. If it is, ask him to begin bringing people around you who share a similar passion and are ready to serve. And watch what happens.

As a leader, more and more, I’m finding that I need the sacred echo – the persistent voice of God – almost as if my life depended on it. The sacred echo reminds me he has not departed, he is steadfast, and he has not given up on me. If truth be told, as I grow older, I’m finding I need more certainty – not less – in responding to God’s prompting in my life.

So go ahead, begin responding prayerfully to the sacred echo. God is speaking to you.

No comments: