Monday, December 21, 2009

PRIMAL: A Quest for the Lost Soul of Christianity by Mark Batterson

I just finished reading my first book of the holiday season, which is often a time for me to get some reading done...Mark Batterson's latest book PRIMAL (really liked his first two books as well) offered me a great reminder of the vision God ultimately calls me to pursue in 2010 and beyond as a Christ-follower...

Batterson writes about rediscovering what it means to live like the early church believers did and invites his readers to consider how the values of heartfelt compassion, soul captivating wonder, intellectual curiosity, and the strength of passionate workers can move us back to a place of intense belief and love in the God of all things...

I loved his mix of personal stories, scientific insights, and insights into the Scriptures that really made me reconsider some of my own current life patterns as a long time follower of Jesus...I found myself stirred to renew my passions to give lavishly out of a longing to meet the needs of others, to once again go to places where I see the awe of God's creation, to use my imagination to think of new ways to engage God's grand mission, and to rededicate myself to investing my energy into the completion of the tasks God has invited me to be part of doing as a servant of Jesus...

Batterson invites us all to be part of another reformation where we flesh out the Great Commandment and Commission in very fresh ways...and I found myself drawn in and inspired as a lover of Jesus...something I desperately need to feel and pursue as one who is professionally invested in ministry with the next generation...

It's worth a read early in 2010 as you contemplate what it means to live differently in the year ahead...

No comments: