Monday, July 4, 2011

6 books I read on our summer trip to MN...

I admit it. I am a book-aholic and have been for the last 35 years. I love making wish lists on amazon.com and requesting holds online at my local library website...So every summer when we head north to the lake and the quiet cabin my backpack is bulging with a bunch of books I've been dying to dive into when my days aren't filled with returning emails and phone calls and living a life that often doesn't allow for lengthy sessions with my books on my current to read list...

The weather was great in MN this year and here's what I devoured over 10 days in the north woods with some titles and a little de-brief thought...

1.New book on ESPN...browsed thru all the interviews of my favorite sports personalities just for fun...loved the parts on their work to promote and produce World Cup 2010 in South Africa...

2. Radical Disciple by John Stott...great little read on some practical and surprising ways we can embrace the life of a disciple in our world today by one of the theologians I respect and resonate with most...

3. The Extra 2% by Jonah Keri...fascinating read on how a bunch of young guns from Wall Street turned around the baseball team in Tampa quickly and brilliantly...

4. Leadership is Dead by Jeremie Kubicek...re-read a book I had skimmed through and passed on to my team at CU...great thoughts on influence and leadership focused on others...

5. Onward by Howard Schultz...the CEO's story of Starbucks over the last few years and before...lots of great stuff on building and re-building a culture and I discovered why I've always been drawn to the Starbucks brand when it comes to my coffee type and sites...

6. Tim Tebow biography...this guy is and was one of the most disciplined and focused people on the planet...there's no mistake as to why he's become who he's become...


I've actually still got a couple more books I'll take home in the backpack unread...hopefully I'll crank thru some more pages before the fall madness begins!

No comments: