This summer, a bunch of guys in the CU men's soccer program are reading the book Crazy Love by Francis Chan along with me...I had a chance to knock it out on the plane rides to and from my recent missions trip to the DR...and in particular his thoughts on actually being obsessed with Jesus stood out to me...and I jotted them down to serve as stakes in my picture of what following Jesus with abandonment in response to His indeed crazy love might look like...here's the notes I typed up in summary of his descriptors of people obsessed with our Savior:
CRAZY LOVE Chapter 8 Summary Thoughts: Profile of the Obsessed…
OBSESSED: To have the mind excessively preoccupied with a single emotion or topic…
*People who are obsessed with Jesus give freely and openly, without censure. Obsessed people love those who hate them and who can never love them back.
* People who are obsessed with Jesus aren’t consumed with their personal safety and comfort above all else. Obsessed people care more about God’s kingdom coming to this earth than their own lives being shielded from pain or distress.
* People who are obsessed with Jesus live lives that connect them with the poor in some way or another. Obsessed people believe that Jesus talked about money and the poor so often because it was really important to Him (I John 2:4-6; Matthew 16:24-26).
* Obsessed people are more concerned with obeying God than doing what is expected or fulfilling the status quo. A person who is obsessed with Jesus will do things that don’t always make sense in terms of success or wealth on this earth. As Martin Luther put it, “There are two days on my calendar: this day and that day” (Luke 14:25-35; Matthew 7:13-23, 8:18-22; Revelation 3:1-6)
*A person who is obsessed with Jesus knows that the sin of pride is always a battle. Obsessed people know that you can never be “humble enough,” and so they seek to make themselves less known and Christ more known (Matthew 5:16).
*People who are obsessed with Jesus do not consider service a burden. Obsessed people take joy in loving God by loving His people (Matthew 13:44; John 15:8)
* People who are obsessed with God are known as givers, not takers. Obsessed people genuinely think that others matter as much as they do, and they are particularly aware of those who are poor around the world (James 2:14-26)
*A person who is obsessed thinks about heaven frequently. Obsessed people orient their lives around eternity; they are not fixed only on what is here in front of them.
* A person who is obsessed is characterized by committed, settled, passionate love for God, above and before every other thing and every other being.
*People who are obsessed are raw with God; they do not attempt to mask the ugliness of their sins or their failures. Obsessed people don’t put it on for God; He is their safe place, where they can be at peace.
*People who are obsessed with God have an intimate relationship with Him. They are nourished by God’s Word throughout the day because they know that forty minutes on Sunday is not enough to sustain them for a whole week, especially when they will encounter so many distractions and alternative messages.
*A person who is obsessed with Jesus is more concerned with his or her character than comfort. Obsessed people know that true joy doesn’t depend on circumstances or environment; it is a gift that must be chosen and cultivated, a gift that ultimately comes from God (James 1:2-4).
*A person who is obsessed with Jesus knows that the best thing he or she can do is be faithful to their Savior in every aspect of their life, continually saying “Thank You!” to God. An obsessed person knows there can never be intimacy if he or she is always trying to pay God back or work hard enough to be worthy. He or she revels in their role as child and friend of God.