Tuesday, December 28, 2010

11 Things for 2011

So as this year draws to a close, it is exciting to be in a different place than last year in many ways...as 2009 ended it was very much about seeing where we had come from and all the differences and changes that were now present in our lives...and now a year later I find myself not looking back so often but instead looking forward to new things that will happen in our lives and some goals and visions I am seeking to pursue and make reality in 2011...so here goes the target list for 2011 with 11 things I long for God to help me chase after in the coming 365 days of a new year:

1. Embrace a new level of simplicity...I want to take real steps in not buying, accumulating, and spending time with stuff that I don't need and ultimately adds very little real meaning and joy to my life...and I long to teach my kids how to spend less so we can give more in a better way...

2. Read more and watch video less...I need more time with written words rather than just pictures and voices on a screen...

3. Don't be controlled by fears...I find myself as I get older being more consumed by the uncertainties and challenges of life, and I need to embrace more fully the measure of contentment and confidence I have as one who has a God who is intimately concerned and involved in even my life...

4. Run almost every day for the sake of my physical, mental, and spiritual health...this time in the day is critical for me in each of these dimensions...

5. Allow the Scriptures to be present and central in my thoughts and mind...to read the Bible, to memorize its life-giving words, and to listen to others teach from it in a systematic and central way in my daily routines...

6. Write more notes to my colleagues, my friends, and my family...simply because I love to write and I believe deeply in the power of encouragement and belief in the lives of those God has put in my life...

7. Manage my sports obsession and love of all things athletic...I can so easily divert my attention from the people and things that matter most to the games that matter not as much...and I have a little guy who I am training in this regard every single day...

8. Be more honest with my feelings with others...at times my desire to create peace and to promote happy and healthy relationships causes me to hide my true emotions and thoughts for the sake of not rocking the boat...and I need to invite more feedback from those I lead and serve in various arenas in my life...

9. Be less accessible and available when I need to be fully present with key people in my life...I struggle to not fall prey to electronic demands when I should be focused on the situations and people right in front of me...

10. Discover the best places outside of the Cornerstone community where I can invest my time and gifts for the furthering of the Kingdom of God...and I can't be afraid to invite others to come together to help facilitate real change in this world...

11. Finish the writing, editing, and publishing of the book I have been writing about my life and student engagement in the Zambia Project and beyond...it is time to get it done and time to get it out...and will require that which I find often to be so hard to do...but by the end of 2011, I want to be holding this book in my hand...and let the story God has been writing be known...

With prayers for courage and discipline and focus to pursue these dreams and passions God's Spirit has been stirring in my heart...here's to a new year indeed!

No comments: