Friday, December 21, 2012

5 Books I read that changed my life in 2012...

I purchase lots of books...and I do actually get to reading most of them!  I've had the chance to read lots of great content in this past year, but I think I would choose these 5 books as the most impactful and transformational as I scan back thru the millions of words I've looked at in 2012:

1. CIRCLE MAKER by Mark Batterson--a book that has deeply impacted how I pray for my family, my ministry, and the level of faith I long to have in God's work in our world...our soccer team directly applied some of Batterson's ideas to shape our season...


2. NEXT CHRISTIANS by Gabe Lyons--a book that offers an incredible picture of hope and fresh thought for the coming generation of Christ followers as they participate in the restoration of this world God created and loves so deeply...our Terra Firma leaders read it as a vision for what God wants to do in the lives and our world thru the new students coming into CU...


3. LOVE DOES by Bob Goff--a book that inspires you to believe that God really does want you to live out a compelling, vibrant, active faith as you enter into the lives of people in every way...we read it as a soccer team and it helped us to live out in a new way the love we have for the game, our teammates, the world, and our God...and I continue to see it impact lives of students across campus as I share it...


4. WRECKED by Jeff Goins--a great read that causes you to think deeply about and then seek to flesh out in real life what life must look like when God wrecks you and your view of the world and even faith thru a life-changing experience with those in great need in our world...we are using it as the de-brief book for all of our students as they come home from our global opportunities trips and seek to have those unique experiences truly affect the direction of our lives as Christ followers...


5. THE ZAMBIA PROJECT by Chip Huber--I had to put this one on here because I think I read it at least seven or eight times this year in the editing process...and I continue to stand amazed at what God has done and is doing in this generation of students as they care about the global issues of poverty and justice present in our world...and it calls me daily to continue to live up to the things I have written as an author and disciple of Jesus...I have loved sharing it with friends at CU, at Wheaton Academy, at churches and Christian schools and universities, and my friends at World Vision, particularly connected to the 30 Hour Famine program...




No comments: