Monday, April 2, 2012

WRITING A BOOK--My Journey

Here's a little reflection I wrote for the school newspaper, The Herald, this past week at CU...

I did something I always dreamed I might be able to do this past week: I sent a book manuscript to the printer to be published. Now to be honest, I did not major in English in college, have only been published a few times in youth ministry and humanitarian organization journals, and don’t fit the stereotypical writer profile in many ways. Writing a book has been exhilarating, painful, depressing, compelling, and most of all, very difficult. In the process of writing, I have surfaced all kinds of personal fears, gigantic dreams, and lots of internal debates over the last several years. It’s been a pretty remarkable journey for me, and I have a few things I’d love to share with you about what I’ve learned and why I wrote my book as I look forward to holding the book in my hands…

Almost eight years ago I was sitting in a hotel room in Livingstone, Zambia with a dozen college students who first suggested to me that I should write a book. They had helped to start a major community development project in partnership with World Vision in a community in Africa that had been devastated by the global AIDS pandemic. We had just visited the first schoolhouse ever built in the Kakolo Village community and had fallen in love with the people we had raised funds to help for the past 18 months. I blindly committed to pursuing this writing project and started jotting down some initial thoughts in a spiral notebook on the long plane ride back to Chicago. Little did I know that this project and relationship was just beginning, and that it would take me much, much longer than I ever dreamed to write out the story God was writing on both sides of the world.

First, I have learned that so many other people were needed to actually accomplish this personal goal I wanted to pursue. I actually ended up having several former students and even my new friends in Zambia write some of the most compelling sections of the book. I’ve needed content and copy editors to literally save my book from embarrassing me, and their expertise has helped me to share the story in a much more meaningful and effective way. The cover of the book needed the help of a brilliant young designer to draw people to the story, and I need hundreds of family and friends and students to help market the book so people who might benefit from reading it actually know that it is available. I am more convinced than ever of the power of the beauty of the design of the body of Christ’s different strengths and gifts and passions described by the Apostle Paul in I Corinthians 12 after truly writing a book together in community.

Second, I think I understand more deeply than ever that I am ultimately responsible for the words I write and speak in my life as a follower of Jesus and leader of various groups of people. I have chosen to write a book where I passionately invite readers to live for the sake of others and to get personally involved in responding to the needs of the global poor and oppressed. But, as I finished the final chapter, I was left with an overwhelming sense that I have to live like what I am writing in order for this book to be the authentic narrative I long for it to be in bringing change to how we see the world as the next generation of Christ followers. The big idea in Donald Miller’s book A MILLION MILES IN A THOUSAND YEARS I have all incoming students read calling us to live rather than just write or speak or dream a great story for our lives imbedded itself deeply as I wrote thousands and thousands of words that now demand my obedience because they are in print for others to see.

Third, writing about this fairly extraordinary and transformative life experience has caused me to believe that God wants to write another big story in my life and the lives of the people all around me. I used to think that this almost decade long project caring for the medical, educational, water and food, discipleship, housing, and emotional needs of the Zambian people was a truly once-in-a-lifetime deal! But as I wrote this book, I was left with the clear notion from Scripture and the Spirit of God that it might not have been so abnormal after all. The same love of Christ and power of the Holy Spirit talked about in Ephesians 3 that could do so much more than we could ever ask or imagine has not left the building; it is still alive and moving and doing crazy things in individual lives and the life of the church. What if the Zambia Project story is the norm rather than the exception for those who have experienced Christ’s love and believe in His plan to have the Kingdom of God forcefully explode in our world today? I don’t have another book idea ready to pursue, but I am convinced that He wants to keep writing incredible stories, even in and through our remarkable community here at CU.

To be honest, I am terrified and overjoyed to let others purchase the book I have written. I know I was provoked by God to write it, but still can’t believe it is good enough to be liked and approved by the very smart and discerning readers who will pick it up to read. I am praying that it will inspire and educate and encourage, but doubt that it will change the world like I dream it will as its author. Yet, I wouldn’t trade this experience, for in the midst of writing a book I discovered anew more of who God wants me to be and what He wants me to do as one who desperately wants to make a difference in the world because of what He has done to change me. I am excited to read the book one of you writes someday and chat over coffee about the journey it takes you on…

THE ZAMBIA PROJECT: The Story of Two Worlds Flipped Upside Down will be released this spring. There will be a pre-book release celebration on Wednesday April 25 at 9 pm in the Corum at CU. You can find out more info at: www.zambiaprojectbook.com

1 comment:

Chris Minick said...

Thanks for sharing Chip, I cant wait to read your book and look forward to the blessing that will surely follow!